I don’t mean to alarm you, but there’s only 2 or so months left of 2017...
Luckily, you've stumbled upon the perfect guide to spicing up your year with a bit of adventure 💃🏽
We’ve compiled a list of 10 things to do around Sydney that are sure to stimulate, rejuvenate and ignite your inner spontaneity.
C’mon. Make 2017 one to remember!
1. Plan a weekend getaway
It’s amazing what you can do in just a day or two.
We've got some inspiration for fun, outdoorsy trips that you and your pals will cherish for years to come.
The Blue Mountains
The Blue Mountains is the ideal Sydney getaway, filled with spectacular landscapes, unique flora and fauna and interesting activities.
Check out our recommended Blue Mountains Wildlife Day Tour. You can...
- Take selfies with koalas 🐨 and feed kangaroos at Featherdale Wildlife Park
- Marvel at the Three Sisters from Echo Point
- Hike the stunning Wentworth Falls
- Discover the local garden village of Leura
- Visit the Australian Grand Canyon
- Take the cable car to Scenic World
- Visit the Waradah Aboriginal Centre
Want to add on the Jenolan Caves or choose an overnight tour? Check out our full list of Leezair Blue Mountains tours here.
The Hunter Valley
The Hunter Valley is the perfect place to escape the city rush and relish one of Australia's most beautiful wine regions.
Have a squizz at our recommended Hunter Valley Wine & Food Tasting Tour:
Imagine you and your friends amidst the gorgeous greenery of the Hunter Valley, sipping on some of Australia’s best wine, beer and distilled spirits while tasting delectable food, cheese and chocolate.
If it's a helicopter tour or weekend trip you're after, check out our full list of Leezair Hunter Valley tours here.
2. Try a new class
Dancing, music, cooking, languages, painting, pottery, photography… whatever the class, I guarantee it will do oodles of good for your mind and sense of creativity.
You’re never too old to develop new skills and pick up a new hobby!
Ever tried salsa dancing? Whether you're a couple or an individual, try an evening salsa class at Latin Motion in the CBD.
Keen to develop your photography skills? Check out this Night Photography Masterclass.
3. Make a splash
There's no disputing the positive effects of a bit o' sunshine and H20.
If you ask us, here are some of the best ways to up your vitamin D count while boosting your fitness (and mood):
Surfing- succumb to the Aussie stereotype of being a tanned, laid-back surfer dude/dudette 🏄🏽 Learn the basics from a pro surf instructor at Sydney's surf capital, Bondi Beach
Stand Up Paddle Boarding- surfing 2.0 for those who prefer still water over waves. Don't be fooled, it's quite the core workout! Take a guided SUP tour around the Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
Snorkelling- get front row seats to the kaleidoscope of colourful sea life living in our beautiful waters. We recommend snorkelling in Manly's stunning Shelly Beach
Kayaking- get a killer arm workout while cruising on Sydney's breathtaking waters. Rent a deluxe kayak on Sydney's Middle Harbour. It includes a guide so you can find the secluded waterways!
4. Be a tourist in your own city for a day
Bridge Climb- are you still saying 'I will one day' when people ask if you've climbed the Harbour Bridge? What are you waiting for? Book your climb today! It would make for an unforgettable date or gift.
Sydney Tower - soak up the stunning 360 degree city views from Sydney Tower. Leezair tip: treat yourself to a world class cocktail (or three course degustation) at 360 Bar and Dining. You get the same views as you would from the Observation Deck!
Free walking tour- want to learn more about Sydney's history? Check out this free Sydney City walking tour, which takes you around the CBD, the Rocks and our Underground Tunnels.
Sydney’s Ultimate Night Out- make new local and international friends on a night out you’ll never forget (yet may not remember). This bar crawl includes free drinks, free food, fun games and prizes and an unbeatable atmosphere! Check it out, y'all.
Jet Blast on Sydney Harbour- zoom around the harbour on an exhilarating jet boat ride. You can save $$ by combining it with another iconic Sydney experience:
5. Build your knowledge
As Mahatma Gandhi famously said: “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
There are so many wonderful ways to feed your mind in this city. If it's some art education you're after, we recommend:
- Museum of Contemporary Art - features Australian and international modern art, housed in a grand, waterside art deco building.
- Art Gallery of NSW - established in 1871, features international and Australian art in one of the most beautiful art museums in the world.
Or if you're more interested in science and history, check out:
- Australian Museum- Australia's oldest museum, which houses a large collection of land and aquatic animals, similar to New York's Museum of Natural History.
- Powerhouse Museum- previous collections have centred on science, technology, music, design, industry, transport and space exploration.
- Maritime Museum- climb aboard ships that have shaped our country's history, including a replica of Captain Cook's HMB Endeavour.
6. Spice up your workout
Exercising shouldn't have to be icky. There are plenty of fun ways to work a sweat without dreading it from start to finish.
Why not try Indoor Rock Climbing? It's a fun and affordable workout for all ages and fitness levels and a delightful departure from the usual workout.
You could also check out what sports teams exist in your local area. Perhaps netball, basketball, tennis, cricket, footy or even ultimate frisbee. Team sports are a great way to keep active and make new friends at the same time. It's a win-win! (Unless of course, you lose).
Leezair tip: Check out 'No Lights No Lycra'. It is honestly the best workout we've ever had. You basically dance your heart out like no one is watching, because literally no one is. You're all in a dark space so you can leave your insecurities at the door.
NLNL have five locations across Sydney: Newtown, Bondi, Parramatta, Chatswood, Manly and Cronulla. Get yourself to one. You won't regret it!
7. Go camping
The word ‘camping’ might ignite bad memories from a time before you fully understood the value of nature and quietude. But trust me, there’s nothing bad about being amongst the great outdoors and getting back to your primitive roots.
You can cuddle up with a loved one under the stars, play cricket and board games with friends, roast marshmallows by the beach and clear your mind from dusk ‘til dawn. Leezair tip: ditch your phone. Just enjoy being present in the moment and breathing in that crisp country air.
Our fav spots around Sydney:
- Cockatoo Island (offers glamping and prepared campsites as well as the option to bring your own tent)
- NRMA Sydney Lakeside Holiday Park, North Narrabeen
- Bonnie Value Campground, Royal National Park
- The Basin, Ku-Ring-Gai
And if you’re willing to venture out of Sydney, these camping spots are truly breathtaking (and well worth the drive):
- The Farm, Kiama
- Diamond Head, Crowdy Bay National Park
- Honeymoon Bay, Currarong
8. Live music, anyone?
With the influx of digital music platforms nowadays, we often forget how magical it is to experience live music.
Go see a band! They don't have to be famous or play music you're familiar with. You could try something totally new, maybe jazz or heavy rock?
The CBD's Metro Theatre, Darlinghurst's Oxford Art Factory and Newtown's Enmore Theatre house a great range of gigs that are sure to tickle your musical taste buds.
You could also check out the Opera House for something a little more traditional, like the Sydney Symphony Orchestra.
Happy listening! 🎷
9. Release your inner dare devil
This one isn’t for the faint hearted. Skydiving, jetpacking, paragliding... There are plenty of options. All exhilarating. All totally bonkers. Take your pick.
- Skydiving- experience the ultimate bucket list activity, whether it's for the first time or 40th! Skydive 14,000ft out of a plane!
- Jetpacking- release your inner James Bond in on a thrilling Jetpack adventure
- Paragliding - soar like a bird over one of Sydney's pristine beaches on an exciting Tandem Paraglide
- Indoor Skydiving- feel the rush of skydiving without jumping out of a plane at iFly Indoor Sky Diving
If these are a little out of your comfort zone, why not organise a fun (and less extreme) activity with your mates.
- Paintball- challenge your friends or family to an experience they'll never forget at this exhilarating 2 floor indoor Paintball field!
- Escape Room- this might not be physically extreme, but it will certainly test your teamwork and problem solving skills. We recommend the Escape Hunt Experience Sydney
10. Let's go to the beach, beach
Leezair tip: the more secluded, the better!
I’m no doctor, but in my unprofessional opinion, there’s nothing a bit of sun, sand and surf can’t fix. The beach is the perfect place to unwind, read a book, bask in the sunshine and bathe in the salty sea.
Organise a fun beach day with your friends, pack a picnic lunch and burn off your BBQ belly with some cricket or volleyball. We have no doubt your day will go swimmingly 😉
A few beachy suggestions:
- Manly + Shelly
There’s a reason Sydney is so renowned for its beaches! Get amongst them.
And that's a wrap!
Surely there are at least a couple of things that tickle your fancy.
For more fun ideas, check out our vast Leezair catalogue of activities and experiences. Or shoot us a message and we can make more suggestions.
The Leezair team x